Friday 14 September 2012

Day 5: Celtic Thunder

Andrew's birthday is coming up at the end of the month and my parents bought the 4 of us tickets to see Celtic Thunder playing at the Centre in the Square in Kitchener.


This month will be VERY full of "cultural" events (more to come), but this was an amazing evening. The music was great and we had a nice afternoon and dinner too!

Celtic Thunder does covers of songs (Celtic/Gaelic as well as North American hits too). A few of the songs had messages I want to share.

The first is Cats in the Cradle. Andrew and I were talking to someone (we can't remember who) this week about this song and about how sad a sentiment it is. And tonight Celtic Thunder covered it. I like how the Youtube version I've linked to starts, Harry Chapin: "It's about my boy Josh, and frankly this song scares me to death." I think listening to this song is a GREAT reminder that being busy means we will miss important milestones in our own lives and that the impact we have on people is not always a positive one.

The second song is Friends in Low Places. Listening to this song tonight reminded me about that "social graces" can be barriers to really knowing some great people. Being "right" can mean being lonely...

Garth Brooks:
I'm not big on social graces Think I'll slip on down To the oasis Oh, I've got friends In low places
Well, I'll be as high As that ivory tower That you're livin' in 'Cause I've got friends In low places


Would I rather be in the oasis, or have social graces?

The third and final song I want to share is Caledonia.


[Chorus]:
Let me tell you that I love you
That I think about you all the time
Caledonia, you're calling me, now I'm going home
But if I should become a stranger
Know that it would make me more than sad
Caledonia's been everything I've ever had


These lyrics (while about a place) makes me think about the people, who at one time in our lives, were very important to us. And that sometimes, these important people become strangers to us... so for me, more than ever, this means that we need to really treasure the time we have with people when we have it. Don't put things off or push people away because we're busy (that means you too Harry Chapin!).

We want to make sure that we're sharing our lives, in today's case with my parents, and also spending time hearing about their lives.

What are some songs that tell you to smarten up and to be more present?

No comments:

Post a Comment