Monday 17 September 2012

Day 8: Cottage by the Sea

So I read this entire book last night "Cottage by the Sea" by Robin Jones Gunn. I have enjoyed her series of books since I was young teenager, starting with the Christy Miller series.

This book had a number of great lessons. I think the major thing I learned was to say the important things to people you love.

Page 199:
"You are blessed more than you know, and you don't want to die an old fool who never took the opportunity to say to his son words that could change his life. Words such as 'I'm proud of you. I think you turned out great.' And most important, 'I love you.' "

I think some families and people are better at this than others. But I think if you start saying these things to children when they're young and continue saying them as they grow it will just become a wonderful family tradition and the child will always know that you support them.

That being said we also need to realize that some expressions of love come with no words:

Page  235:
Dolores had expressed her kindness to Erin in the only way she seemed to know how: she did a project - a beautiful project.

Sometimes people aren't able to offer us words of love, kindness or encouragement but they try to express that in other ways. While often we need and want words, we need to recognize that this is still love.

So the challenge for today comes from the Discussion Questions Page 253:
What is the one thing you wish you could hear from your father? Your mother? What is the one thing you would like to say to them? What is the one thing you would like to say to your children? If it is still possible, would you be willing to tell them?

2 comments:

  1. I try to tell my children as often as possible that I love them and I'm very proud of the adults they have become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Giving that knowledge to them is an irreplaceable gift :)

      Delete