Wednesday 19 December 2012

Day 101: Unions

I should say straight out that I'm pro-unions. Ever since watching the 1979 film Norma Rae (while in high school, years after it's release) starring Sally Field, where she won an academy award for the role, I have been pro-union. I highly suggest the film to everyone - I have a copy if you want to borrow it.

Another disclaimer, my dad and my sister are both part of unions. While neither of them is overly active in the union or overly political themselves, I believe they both respect their unions and know how much unions have done for their individual workplaces as well as for the betterment of the working environment in North America.

What have unions done for us? The people who aren't in unions...

Weekends off
Paid vacations
The 8-hour work day
Ending child labour
Work breaks, including paid lunch breaks
Equal pay for equal work for women
Abolition of sweatshops
Sick leave
Canada Pension Plan
Universal health care
The minimum wage
Pregnancy and parental Leave
The right to strike
Anti-discrimination rules at work
Overtime pay
Occupational health and safety
40 hour work week
Worker’s compensation
Employment Insurance
Pensions
Public education
Collective bargaining rights for employees
Wrongful termination laws
Whistleblower protection laws
Anti-sexual harassment laws
Holiday pay



















Here's a short video (American based) that goes over these benefits - based on the Monty Python skit "What have the Romans ever done for us".


No comments:

Post a Comment